D W Fitzgerald
The D W Fitzgerald was built in Aberdeeen in 1916. She was requisitioned the same year for minesweeping duties in the First World War. After being returned to her owners in 1919 she worked as a trawler until being requisitioned again in 1940, serving as a minesweeper with the 110th M/S Group based at Grimsby, responsible for sweeping the area from Cromer to Flamborough Head. She was then moved to Portsmouth in 1944, for mine-sweeping duties in the English Channel. After the war she went back to being a trawler (A629) in Aberdeen. She sank on 13 June 1961 off Girdleness in Scotland while being towed to a scrapyard.
|Return to the story of the Cap d’Antifer|